Welcome to TrollGame Community
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.
Login to Account Create an Account

Photo

Feedback on new maps

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

Remono

Remono

M&S police guard

• 63 posts
  • LocationBern

First of all, thanks alot for all the work you guys are doing for the server and all the effort towards new maps.

In the last days there were a few maps tested. I'd like to share some of my thoughts and some ideas for improvement here. Feel free to add your opinion as well or to correct me if you feel I'm wrong  ;)

Since the maps are new there are no names yet, so I'll try to describe them in order for you guys (and girls) to identify them (since silly me forgot to screenshot them for easy recognition -> if someone has them that would be awesome). 

Map 1

Rectanular castle with two height levels. Defender spawn in a small village. Entrances are plenty on the first castle level. A gate is blocking the ground entrance to the second level where there's the flag in a courtyard on the elevated entrance to the main keep.

Bugs:

• The only ladder leading directly to the second level didn't work (the on on the dead tree).

Suggestions:

The passages between the two castle sections are quite narrow making it easy to completely block them off from the attackers. Since the gate can only be opened from inside the second level there was no way to enter the castle. Here's a few ideas how to improve the balance:

• Change the gate to a destructible wooden one
  • Add 1-2 ways to get into the second level (backdoor, additional ladder, siege remp/tower)
  • Add siege weapons on both sides (preferably not aiming directly on narrow passages on defender sides)

Map 2:

Huge castle walls (insanely huge  :D ). The walls are sloped towards the ground making it possible to walk down/up from/to the middle. Has an outer level with grass ground and a few small sheds. There are some ladders towards the upper part (really long ladders).

Bugs:

• The grass in the outer yard seem to have collision (getting blocked when walking/riding through)

Suggestions:

The castle is quite big. Many players didn't really know where to go (since you can't see where the flag actually is). Pretty much every entrance is surrounded by walls giving defenders good positions to crossfire the attackers. There is a lack of cover for attackers when approaching the castle. The ladders are huge and leave attackers exposed to ranged countermeasures. Some ideas for improvement:

• Scale the whole castle down to a "normal" size (making ladders shorter, countersniping easier due to smaller height difference)
  • Add some cover in the outer yard (houses, fountain, maybe even some of the walkable ruined buildings) and some obstruction fences to counter easy cavalry spam
  • Flatten the walls so defenders can't just walk outside without taking damage
  • Siege engines on both sides

Map 3:

Open field map. Flag next to some pallisades and a windmill. One small shed next to it. Some spikes and props towards the attacker spawn.

Bugs:

Haven't encountered any so far. Tell me if you have seen any so I can add them to the list.

Suggestions:

The matchup of the test was a bit special (Rhodok def against Khergit). With khergit horse archer beeing able to shoot over the pallisade when mounted. The trebuchet was able to land some nasty hits right on the flag where defenders were concentrated quite a bit. I could imagine that an infantry faction as attackers (e.g. Nords) would have given the defenders a hard time since there isn't much obstuction holding attackers back and the entrances to the flag are are too big to lock down. I feel like the map was not bad from a balance perspective with this matchup. A few ideas on how to further imrove:

• Add some kind of defense structure to break through so attackers can't just walk onto flag from the start
  • Maybe fill some of the blank spaces on the map with trees/houses/other structures

Map 4:

This one is the second 3 flag map (1st flag on open field, second in castle courtyard, third on castle balcony).

Suggestions:

The first two flags are totally fine and fun to play. The problem starts on the third flag. As far as I've experienced there's only one entrance to the flag (please correct me if I'm wrong). If you have 100+ players on it there is absolutely no way you can make your way up the stairs to flag. The defenders can just bunch up on top level and block you off completely. You can't make use of any number advantage because only 2ppl can walk next to each other on the stairs. In addition the defenders constantly spawn in behind you making it almost impossible to establish a frontline without spawnkilling. To counter this I got some ideas:

• Limit defender lives by default on this map to get a feeling of draining the enemy forces until you can finally push through
  • Add at least one, if not two, additional ways to flag (maybe a ladder from the wall behind)
  • Add a ballon or other siege equip to either kill defenders on flag or put pressure on it by landing troops there

For everyone who has read all of it so far: thanks for your time  :D

And thanks alot for the effort you are putting into the server.

I'll gladly discus any questions or ideas you guys will come up with below.

Greetings Remono

• KingArthur, BlackDeath, Aratar and 3 others like this

KingArthur

KingArthur

High Admin Emeritius

• Senior Ex Staff
  • 955 posts
  • LocationItaly

Thanks. I would like these topics not be so rare.

The 3 flags map (rochester castle) already has automatic lifes for last stage. They depend by the number of players. It also depends by how much time you take to capture the other 2 flags. It's impossible to get a perfect balance because there're too many variables.

The rectangle castle was removed.

The first castle (swampy delta) was fixed, we'll test it again. It's a good candidate for rotation.

I start the open field map (crezy) sometimes only to play an open map. It will not be added to rotation.

• BlackDeath, Merchant and Remono like this

BlackDeath

BlackDeath

The Mongol

• Senior Ex Staff
  • 6073 posts
  • LocationFlying around in space

Thanks for ideas, suggestions, reports and all you can add to support/improve our job + effort to have/maintain best of servers online ^_^

ps: I would like also see more of this topics coming from players...

• Merchant, Remono and Lenna like this

BlackDeath

BlackDeath

The Mongol

• Senior Ex Staff
  • 6073 posts
  • LocationFlying around in space

Add for info: About Rochester map (3 flag), 3rd flag has 2 entrances, one up + other down, keeo in mind when you play it :)

ps: I mean before reach flag definitively ofc (only one door to get this)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users